Starks Fitness Personal Trainer Olivia Neely takes us through the core moves we need to run better. And yes, planks are involved…
The beauty of a core workout is that they quite literally can be done anywhere. Most exercises require minimal or no equipment, there’s endless variations to keep you motivated, and better still, you can complete an effective core circuit in less than 15 minutes.
Vital for daily movement, it’s important to understand having a strong core means far more than flashing a six pack of abs. Investing time into training this area will pay dividends. For more intense activities such as running, core training is integral, ensuring you’re providing maximum support, flexibility, and form when you move.
Here are my top 5 exercises that’ll get your abs fired up in no time:
1) Planks. This trusty isometric exercise fires up all your muscles in the core, including assisting
in spinal stability.
2) Russian twists. Perfect for firing up the sides of the torso, this rotation exercise targets your
obliques. Try using a weight for added resistance.
3) Single leg glute bridge. This glute focussed exercise requires a strong core for an effective
movement. Single-leg exercises focus on strengthening each side at a time, acting as a
rehearsal for running.
4) Standing single leg reach. Standing core exercises are often forgotten about. This exercise
works the entire core as well as the quadriceps and hamstrings. The single leg movement
improves balance too.
5) Leg raises. This exercise targets the lower abdominal muscles, which will keep the common
issue of lower back problems at bay. Keep the movement controlled and the core engaged
Starks Fitness is launching SF ONLINE – its new Virtual Training platform available from £9.99/month. Find out more at https://starksfitness.co.