For some, getting into shape might mean improving fitness, for others it may mean losing a few pounds or working towards boosting overall health. No matter what your goals our training and meal plans can be adapted to suit you!
About the plans
The training plan is very flexible and should be amended to suit your lifestyle, schedule and fitness levels. If you can’t take a rest day on a Wednesday, take it on a Tuesday and, if you can’t run for an hour, just walk!
The meal plan, created by award-winning nutritionist Christine Bailey, is likewise adaptable and has been designed to you help you lose a few pounds and boost your energy levels as you work through the training plan. “The meal plan works because it contains plenty of protein, healthy fats and low-glycemic vegetables to nourish and energise the body while keeping you feeling satisfied,” says Christine. “We also include snacks, which you can plan around your exercise plan to keep you fuelled.” Here are Christine’s tips for following the meal plan:
- Start each day with a glass of warm water and the juice of half a lemon to kick start digestion
- Keep hydrated – often we mistake hunger for thirst so, before you reach for a snack, drink a glass of water or herbal tea
- Cut the carbs – the easiest way to shift fat is to reduce your carbohydrate intake. That does not mean no carbohydrates but, by basing meals around protein and vegetables with low-glycemic grains, you will feel satisfied and energised while you lose weight
- Don’t go low fat – fat is very satisfying and the right types of fat can also stimulate metabolism, so include plenty of oily fish with some nuts, seeds, avocado, olives and coconut oil each week
- Snack around your exercise plan – depending on your exercise levels you may need one or two snacks. Fuelling before and after your workouts will keep you feeling energised and promote recovery
Both plans are four weeks long. Enter your details below to sign up and we’ll email you your training and meal plans for next week, and then each week for the next three weeks thereafter. Print them off, pop them on your fridge and get going! If you’re joining us to get back in shape this New Year, tweet us @Womensrunninguk letting us know how you’re getting on, using #TheYearOfYou