Non-stop entertainment from start to finish and some very famous guests: here’s the lowdown on everything you’ll experience at this year’s Great Bristol Run.
The Great Bristol Run is coming up fast, and we couldn’t be more excited to be back! Running the stunning sights of Bristol as part of one of the country’s biggest 10k and Half Marathon events is quite an experience and it’s one you’re likely to never forget. If you’ve already secured your place on the start line, or you’re looking for your next challenge, then here’s a summary of what you can expect from event day on Sunday 19 September.
1. A stunning route
10,000 runners will line up on the 10k & Half Marathon start lines on Anchor Road near Millennium Square, before setting off on a picturesque running tour of the city.
The Half Marathon route remains similar to previous years, taking runners along the Portway and under the iconic Clifton suspension Bridge, before joining the 10k runners in exploring the city centre’s delights including the vibrant waterfront and the historic Castle Park.
The new 10k route for 2021 takes runners on a tour of the city centre and showcases some of Bristol’s best bits, including the stunning Queens Square, Prince Street Bridge and Harbourside.
2. Rocking music
Prepare to be entertained from start to finish by a host of local musicians from across the region, our very own Beats Boost zone, and the high-energy Hits Radio team.
With eleven entertainment zones for the Half Marathon, and seven on the 10k course, we’re doing our best to keep you motivated every step of the way. Here’s what you can expect to see (and of course hear) on your run:
- RSVP Drummers – one of the country’s finest Bhangra bands will have you rocking with their high-energy, interactive and fun Bhangra music
- Drum Runners – Bristol’s creative street band will have you running to the beat with their high energy drumming
- Batala Samba – expect loud and joyous reggae music as you run past the awesome Batala Samba crew
- Danny White – enjoy a quick jam as you pass Danny’s Electric Bass
- Chai For All – experience a curious combo of middle-eastern folk, jazz and rousing dance tunes
- Kaboozle – Kaboozle will get your legs pumping a little faster with their high energy Afro-Brazilian percussion combo
- Beats Boost – our very own music zone will raise your running level with the Tune Tunes DJ truck providing the beats and bubbles blowing everywhere!
- Hits Radio Motivation Zone – The Hits Radio crew will give you an extra skip in your step with their upbeat support zone
3. PBs and pacers
Renowned for being fast and flat, the Great Bristol Run offers a great opportunity to achieve a PB. With crowds cheering, fellow runners spurring each other on, and training in the bank, race day always lends itself to mightily impressive achievements.
If you’re looking to make it to the finish line in a particular time, our team of pacers will be on hand to help you achieve your goal. There’ll be 10 pacers in the 10k, pacing runners from 40 minutes to 1hour 10 minutes, depending on your wave allocation. The Half Marathon has a team of 11, pacing runners from 1 hour 30 mins to 2 hours 30 mins, depending on your wave allocation.
4. Famous faces and fun for all the family
The Great Bristol Family Run kicks off the big day, ensuring the budding running stars of the future get their shot at glory. Runners aged 3+ can enjoy the big event experience with music & encouragement the whole way round, and a very special medal at the finish.
We’re delighted to be joined by Wallace & Gromit themselves to greet runners (of all ages!) and set them off in style. The eccentric inventor and his trusted canine friend are one of the best-loved duos in animation, and will be joining us as supporters of The Grand Appeal (Bristol’s Children’s Hospital Charity) who are the Official Partner of the Great Bristol Family Run. We can’t wait to meet them & hope you and your family are there to enjoy the moment with us.
5. The finish line feeling and a worthy reward
Crossing the finish line on Anchor Road to cheering crowds, you’ll be feeling elation, exhaustion and joy as you complete your challenge. The greatest reward in taking part is the sense of achievement as you cross the finish line, but a shiny new medal, a snazzy finishers t-shirt and a finisher’s bag filled with goodies will await you at the end of the run.
There’s nothing quite like the feeling of putting on your exclusive medal and finisher’s t-shirt that you collect once you’ve crossed the line. Combine it with an ice-cold pint and the perfect post-run meal. You’ve earned it!
It’s shaping up to be an action-packed celebration of running, so whether you do it for the challenge, to fundraise for charity, or simply for fun, take your place on the start line and be part of something really special. Find out more & enter here.