Love Island’s Camilla Thurlow has teamed up with Potatoes: More Than A Bit On The Side to share two of her favourite balanced and healthy recipes, and dispel some of the myths around dieting and the humble spud.
Potatoes are low in calories and a rich source of vitamins and minerals including potassium, Vitamin B6, B1 and C, and folate. They’re also fibre rich, especially the skins, making you feel fuller for longer and keeping you regular.
But there is no doubt that carbs, including potatoes, get a bad rep – 52% of women have tried completely cutting out carbs from their diet to lose weight, despite this being a vital source of energy, versus just 33% of men.
In the case of potatoes, the benefits cannot be ignored, so try these simple and healthy recipes that make excellent mid-week meals.
Vietnamese Beef & Potato Salad
Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 mins
200g fluffy potatoes (such as Maris Piper), quartered or cubed
1tsp olive oil
200g fillet steak
60g sugar snap peas
1 small carrot, peeled and julienned/grated
1 small cucumber, ribboned with a peeler
1 spring onion, sliced diagonally
1 small shallot, thinly sliced
60g bean sprouts
handful coriander leaves
handful mint leaves
For the dressing
1tbsp lime juice
2tsp fish sauce
1tbsp groundnut oil
1 red chilli, finely chopped
½ garlic clove, crushed
A handful roasted salted peanuts, chopped and 1 lime, cut in wedges.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and set aside.
- Oil and season the fillet steak. Heat a heavy based frying pan over a high heat and sear the steak for 3 minutes each side. Allow to rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing with a sharp knife.
- Cook the salad potatoes in a pan of salted water as per instructions. When the potatoes are just cooked(soft), toss the sugar snaps into the water for 30 seconds. Drain everything and wait for the potatoes to cool before slicing them into wedges.
- Mix the beef, potatoes, sugar snaps, carrot, cucumber, spring onion, shallot, beansprouts and herbs. Stir through the dressing and toss.
- Serve with chopped peanuts and lime wedges.
Mediterranean Salmon & Potato Traybake
Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
250g salad potatoes (such as Charlotte), cubed or quartered
1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 small garlic bulb, top sliced off
1 small courgette, cut into thick slices
1tbsp olive oil
2 salmon fillets
100g cherry tomatoes, whole
8 flavoursome black olives, torn in half
handful mint, to serve
lemon wedges, to serve
- Preheat oven to 210°C/190°C fan.
- Mix the raw potatoes, red onion, garlic and courgette in a bowl with the zest of a lemon, the same lemon cut into slices, a tbsp of olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper. Toss well and tip into a lined baking tray.
- Place in the oven for 30-40minutes, until the potatoes are cooked through and the garlic soft.
- Remove from the oven and add the salmon, cherry tomatoes, black olives, a drizzle more olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. Return to the oven for 10-12 minutes more, until the salmon is cooked.
- Squeeze the garlic out of its bulb and toss all of the vegetables in the paste. Taste a spoonful to check the seasoning. Serve with shredded mint and lots of fresh lemon.
TIP Smearing 1tbsp harissa paste to the salmon fillets before adding them to this dish would make for an easy and delicious Middle Eastern twist to this dish.