After a decent run, there’s nothing more satisfying to tuck into than a hearty sandwich. And, in fact, you’d be pushed to find a better meal choice for post-run recovery – particularly when loaded with the right ingredients. This healthy twist on a club sandwich, put together by PT and nutritionist Cary Tierney of DW Fitness, packs in healthy whole grain carbohydrates and lean protein in a 2:1 ratio – perfect for topping up your fuel stores and boosting recovery post run. Plus with hearty-healthy avocado and immune-boosting pine nuts you’ll be packing in the vitamins, boosting your defences and looking after your heart too! What’s not to love?
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 rashes lean bacon
- 3 slices chicken
- 1tbsp avocado
- 2 leaves baby gem lettuce
- 1 handful chopped pine nuts
- Handful cherry tomatoes
- 2tbsp greek yoghurt
- Start by adding the Greek yoghurt to the chicken and mix in a bowl – this will give the chicken some extra moisture.
- Next, grill the bacon. Grilling is by far the healthiest cooking option, although frying with a low-fat cooking oil also works well. Cook to preference and set aside.
- Lightly toast the bread and spread the avocado onto both slices. Now, assemble your club by layering the chicken, bacon, tomatoes, lettuce and pine nuts, before sealing with the other slice of toasted bread.
- Slice diagonally and dive in!