If you’re in need of post-run pick-me-up, these energy bars are perfect! They’ll boost your energy levels and satisfy your sweet tooth, and taste great with a cuppa!
PREP: 10 MINS
■ 140g (5oz) cashews
■ 160g (5¾oz) dried cherries
■ 150g (5½oz) dried dates
■ 80g (3oz) dark chocolate chips
1. Line the bottom of a 20 × 20cm (8 × 8in) baking tray with baking parchment.
2. In a food processor fitted with a blade, whizz the cashews, cherries, and dates for 25–30 seconds.
3. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and whizz again for 1 or 2 minutes or until the ingredients form a ball. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared tin.
4. Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the top, and press into the fruit and nut mixture.
5. Cover with cling film, and refrigerate overnight.
6. After the bars have chilled, cut into 8 bars. Wrap each bar individually with cling film, and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
MAKE AHEAD AND FREEZE: Prepare up to step 6, store in an airtight container at room temperature or refrigerate for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 1 month.
TIP: You can enjoy these bars chilled for a firmer bite, or keep them at room temperature if you prefer them a little softer.
NUTRITION PER SERVING:
Energy 270kcal, Fat 12g, Carbohydrates 40g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sugars 15g, Sodium 80mg, Dietary fibre 3g, Vitamin C 4%, Protein 4g, Vitamin A 8%, Iron 6%.