The Under Armour HOVR Machina has been touted as “the ideal balance of cushion and energy return”. Does it live up to the hype?
These brilliant beauties are the HOVR Machina, the very latest launch from Under Armour. This is one of the latest shoes to use the power of carbon to springboard runners forward. This can be found in its ‘propulsion plate’, which you can see on the sole – the two-pronged Pebax spring plate “helps runners get up on their toes to keep their turnover quick and their transition snappy”.
It’s always a relief when a shoe brand is concentrating on cushioning, as that’s our favourite part of a running shoe, so Under Armour’s HOVR midsole is much welcomed – it offers all the benefits of a super cushioned sole, while being incredibly light. UA promise that with the Machina, you get the same durability and fit as the Infinite, but with about 20% more cushioning. Bouncy!
We’ve been training in them over the winter, and have been impressed with that lovely bouncy midsole. But the real difference we can feel is in the weight – they really are noticeably super light. The soles are grippy too, so that’s been an added bonus on frosty mornings. We’ll review them properly in the magazine, but for now, they’re definitely one for the shortlist. Zingy colour, too!
- NEUTRAL: For runners who need a balance of flexibility & cushioning
- UA HOVR™ technology provides ‘zero gravity feel’ to maintain energy return that helps eliminate impact
- Compression mesh Energy Web contains & molds UA HOVR™ foam to give back the energy you put in
- Engineered mesh upper is extremely lightweight & breathable for ultimate speed
- Sprint spike-inspired carbon-filledPebax® speed plate for increased return & more powerful push-offs
- Solid rubber outsole covers high impact zones for greater durability with less weight
- Carbon rubber pods under the heel deliver greater traction & durability at high-impact strike zones
- Offset: 8mm
- Weight (Women’s size 7): 8.5oz
The UA HOVR™ Machina shoes will be available Friday 7 February. Check the Under Armour website for details.